Friday, December 9, 2011

The "In-Between" Place

Transition. I love it, I hate it. Leaving behind something old, pressing on towards something...different. I am in the "in-between" place. I have left the old and I am not yet fully walking in the new. This place is hard. Sometimes I refer to it as the desert. The place in between Egypt and the promised land. It's hard to find the words to articulate. From the outside my life is mundane but on the inside so much is happening. Here is the truth: Your spiritual training process is designed to develop the muscles you will need to sustain the weight of your destiny. 

"Lord give me a heart that You can trust!" I prayed that prayer and I have my moments when I don't like the answer! Sometimes I feel like I have asked Him to get out of difficult situations and He reminds me I prayed this. I am learning He needs people He can put into difficult situations and trust us not to leave before it's time. I believe faithfulness is considered by Heaven to be one of the most beautiful qualities a person can posses. But how can we be found faithful if we leave everything He's called us to because it's hard?  

The difficulty of the season is in direct proportion to the mountain top you will stand on in the promised land. Don't despise the process. First He will show you, then He will grow you. The growing is the hard part because when He builds us sometimes it feels like He tears us apart, but the tearing is really Him depositing strength in us.

I have had a reoccurring dream lately that I'm in a grocery store filling up my cart with things off the shelf. If you are into dream interpretation (which I am, John Paul Jackson is an excellent teacher on biblical dream interpretation) Typically grocery stores mean getting what you need, they symbolize a place of preparation (as do kitchens). There is a process of preparation that has to occur in the "in-between" place. The place in between receiving a word from Him about where you are going to end up but still having to be faithful where you are. The "in-between" place is called the place of preparation, and that place can be difficult but it is oh so necessary! It will dismantle the pride that would have taken you out in the future. Don't despise the process of preparation! Let us be found faithful in that place.  

One verse that keeps coming to mind is Matthew 9:17:
"Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved.”

When I apply this to my own life I am the wineskin and the wine His presence. The season of preparation is actually making me into a new wineskin, because my old self could not carry the wright of the new revelation He wants to show me.

Something I love doing is reading biographies of people who I admire or want to aspire to be like. And something they all pretty much have in common is agreeing that if they didn't serve and obey in the obscure mundane seasons, the seasons that looked like the opposite of what God had spoken to them, then they would have never fulfilled their calling. How we hold our hearts in the difficult mundane seasons will determine what will come into our hands in the future seasons. 

I think of David and Moses often. Both had seasons of being faithful in the mundane. Moses in the desert watching his father-in law's sheep and David in the desert watching his father's sheep. The Lord saw them there while they were just doing what they had done everyday. The Lord came and got them where they were! They didn't have to do anything they just kept being faithful in the everyday tasks of life and the Lord came and called them out Himself.
1 Samuel 16:13 says David was anointed "in the midst of his brothers". If you are faithful in private you will be displayed in public. (obviously to be seen publicaly shouldn't be our motive to be faithful- but that's a whole other post!)

Let there be no more "NO" in my heart towards Him, but just one big resounding "YES!"
Whatever you want me to do, I will...even if it's mundane at times, because YOU are my destiny, the destination is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment