Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Marriage is...

 

Marriage is a journey. Marriage is hard. Marriage is beautiful. Marriage is rewarding. Marriage is worth it.  Marriage is taking his normal and my normal and putting it together to make a brand new normal for both of us. Really, what is love without much risk? And marriage is just that, risk. Voluntarily making yourself vulnerable to another. And what is love when it is easy all the time? REAL love is when you can love someone who is completely different then you, who bothers you one day and make you laugh the next, who leaves the toothpaste cap off every time they brush their teeth when you really like it put back on. Love is hard but true love keeps loving even when it is difficult. Marriage is day in day out devotion to that one person. I call my husband "my person", not in the sense that I own him or anything like that, but in the sense that from now on I will look out for him, care for him, have his back, and be there for him until the day death takes one of us, he is my person...for life, and that does not scare me.
Marriage needs a makeover in this culture. Marriage does not have to be boring or stale but rather an experience and adventure, a discovery of what love really looks like. I LOVE BEING MARRIED. It's fun, and even though it's hard at times it is so worth it. My husband is my best friend. Marriage is a lot easier when you know you married the right person. Sometimes the way he looks at me with his pretty green eyes makes my heart melt, he has the best hands I have ever seen, and tonight he had me laughing so hard I was crumpled up on the kitchen floor with tears streaming down my face. Marriage is FUN, but not without effort. Marriage takes A LOT of effort from both people, so if you aren't into laying your time, money, or strength down for another person then don't get married. Marriage is about forgiveness over and over again, and if you don't think so then you are single. And in my opinion, marriage is not so much about being compatible as it is about always accepting that other person no matter what- then you will find that you are always compatible...no matter how much you or that other person may change.

For date night ideas and marriage tips check out loveishere.com, and if you are single check it out anyways because there is stuff on there for you too! Nathan and Britt Fray are the founders of the "Love is" campaign. They are two normal twenty somethings trying to fight the fight and make love last. It's comforts me to know that my husband and I are not alone in this fight!

I chose to post this Andrew Peterson song at the top of my page because I think it conveys a message that there is always hope for a marriage even when things are not ideal. One of my favorite lyrics is"cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down, but I believe it's an easy price for the life that we have found". Bottom line: it will be hard, it will feel like you had to sacrifice things you didn't want to give up...but it's worth it. If you want to find your life and live it well then let it go and see if it doesn't come back to you ten fold.

"we're dancing in the minefields, we're sailing in the storms, it was harder than we dreamed but that's what the promise is for." I love this lyric because not only does it remind me of marriage but it also reminds me of my relationship with God. It takes a covenant, a vow, a promise made because it's hard, but if you don't quit you will win. He has been there for me through a lot of minefields in my life. Life has been painful at times but He has offered to take the broken things in my life and work them out for my good. The wastelands in my heart and make them rich valleys of depth. He is so beautiful. My relationship with Him is not beautiful because it's perfect, it's beautiful because it's real, real love.


1 comment:

  1. All I can say is "mMMmmMMmMM"

    Great post girl, great great post. <3

    ReplyDelete